Friday, October 12, 2012

Out of the Closet!

Yesterday I told my boss and teammates I was pregnant. I was SO scared to tell my boss, I was actually shaking a little! She's super nice, so I shouldn't have worried, but I felt so bad that they hired a pregnant chick who wouldn't be able to finish out the year! As Erich pointed out though, none of us in the district would have a job if it wasn't for women having babies!

I decided to show her a picture of our first ultrasound, prefaced with, "I'd like to show you something on my iPad that I made..."

She was great about it. She gave me a huge hug (several actually!) and confessed that she was a bit suspicious when I didn't drink at her BBQ get-together and caught a cold two months in a row. She told me she was thrilled for us and not to worry about a thing. That she would have hired me even if she had known I was pregnant from the beginning. She also said if I needed more time off later or wanted to quit altogether after the baby was born she completely understood. Of course, that's not at all the plan as I love this job and my co-workers, but it was still nice to know she is so supportive.

My co-workers took it well too. One gave me a hug and the other congratulated me and then said, "Oh no, please don't tell me you're leaving!!" It's nice to know she likes working with me! :)

I had been planning on waiting another week or two to tell people at work, but yesterday I realized I had outgrown another skirt and most of my tights, and today I put on a button down that fit last week and the bottom part of the shirt was pulling apart! It's definitely time for maternity clothes! Since there's another gal in the building who is pregnant and wears clothes from the same store I'd shop at, I knew I had to confess before I outed myself unintentionally.

So today after work I went shopping. Even though Motherhood Maternity is not expensive really, buying enough clothes to last 7 days is pricey! Throw in a winter coat (mine are already snug when closed) and the total was a bit scary. But it will be nice not to spend 30 minutes getting dressed in the morning because everything I try on is too tight. :)

Thankfully, a conversation with a friend inspired me to check out Goodwill and other second-hand clothing stores, so maybe I can find some gently used clothes that won't break the bank and can return some of the things I got! Other maternity stores are so expensive it's ridiculous. I went to a shop in Boulder looking for slacks for work, and they had just one pair...price? $110! Seriously?? For pants I can only wear for about a year? (For pants in general, that's steep!)

If you're ever looking for a business venture, open a maternity consignment shop. There are only a few in the whole Denver metro area. Just be sure to hire people that won't have phone conversations with their children while pregnant women are shopping that end with the comment, "Sometimes I wish I could sell my kids."

True story.

Symptoms this week? Largely going away. Cramping is more or less gone, extreme hunger intolerance is fading, and thankfully, I never had nausea or serious fatigue, but apparently now that I'm at 12 weeks, I'm out of the woods for those symptoms! But alas, there is a new one: headaches! Apparently it's some sort of hormonal/extra blood side-effect. Whatever, I don't care. I want them to go away now. Please. They're especially no fun since I'm trying really hard to avoid Tylenol. It's safe to take while pregnant, but I figure the fewer drugs, the better. I have to admit though, right now, I'm real close to caving!

No comments:

Post a Comment