I took a little video of the recording (below). The first line (on the left) is the baby’s
heartbeat, that’s the active one. I wasn’t having any contractions (Braxton
hicks or otherwise), so the second line (in back/on the right) wasn’t doing
anything interesting. The fun part happened toward the end of the monitoring
session when baby got the hiccups! I could feel them and see them get recorded,
and even hear them through the sensors as well. Fun!
During the visit I also learned that I was already 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced! Based on that and a few other signs I won’t gross anyone out with, it’s looking like baby girl may want to come early. The doctor said it might still be another 2-3 weeks, but suggested we get all our baby things done!
Alas, the appointment wasn’t all fun. I got confirmation that the shape of my pelvis will make childbirth challenging and coupled with the apparent size of baby, there’s a very good chance that she won’t be able to make it through or may cause excessive damage to me in the process. (I had no idea you could break your tailbone while delivering, eek!!) After talking with the doctor and with our doula, it’s looking like I will be better off opting for a c-section. I am going to wait to see what the other doctor in the office says at our next appointment, but I definitely feel some sense of relief having pretty much made the decision. The last thing I want to do is labor for hours and hours before heading into surgery or wind up with severe and unpredictable injuries that could take just as long if not longer to recover from and would be more unpleasant!
On Thursday I worked from home so I could be around when the glider for the nursery was finally delivered. I must admit, there are some advantages to being pregnant. When the 2 guys delivering the chair came in with huge boxes, I asked them if they could put the chair upstairs since I wouldn’t be able to help Erich carry them up. They not only put the boxes upstairs, they unpacked the parts to the chair, put them in the nursery, and broke apart and took away the dirty boxes the chair came in! It was awesome. JAnd the chair looks phenomenal!
Here are a couple pictures of the
nursery; it's nearly done!![]() |
| Erich practicing with Maidchen... |
![]() |
| One of my favorites so far! |
Over the weekend Erich had a
volleyball tournament with his girls down in Colorado Springs. I was originally
hoping to come along and get to have a little weekend getaway, but with the
progress the OB described, I was a little nervous to be that far from our
hospital (it’s about a 1.5 – 2 hour drive). Apparently, my mom was nervous
about me being home alone, as she cancelled her weekend plans to have a slumber
party with me at our house, just so I wouldn’t be alone. It was fun to get to
hang out with her and watch some bad movies! The next day we did a little
shopping to get a few final items for the nursery and took care of some other
things on my to-do list.
Baby has also been super active,
and has taken to kicking me on the top part of my belly, which doesn’t feel
great. The other night I noticed that I actually had a bruise in the spot she’s been
pounding! I had no idea that could happen! So now she has yet another nickname:
Bruiser. We think she’ll be quite the jumper one day; a great addition to one
of Erich’s future volleyball teams.
The next OB appointment is on
Wednesday; I’m curious to see if there’s any more progress or if we’ll learn
any different information that may influence how baby will be delivered!










No comments:
Post a Comment