A few days after the ultrasound, I was waiting at a red
light and a few seconds after it turned green someone ran their red light going
the opposite direction! Luckily, I was easily able to stop and avoid an
accident, but I was amazed that for the first time I felt fear only for the
baby, not for myself. I think the ultrasound helped kick my mama bear instincts
into gear!
| My mom thinks here eyes are shaped like mine, and Polina thinks she has Erich's lips! |
| Tauer toes?? |
As timing would have it, the next night I attended an infant CPR class with my mom. Erich had volleyball practice, so he attended the next time the class was offered with my dad. Since both of my parents will be helping care for Little Fish when I go back to work, we were happy to have them join us for the class. Although I’ve been certified in the past in both infant and adult CPR and first aid, my certification lapsed so it was good to get a refresher course.
Erich and I also took a series of childbirth classes from
the Longmont Hospital that covered everything from signs of labor to what to
expect during and after delivery. The class was very informative, though I wish
it had given us more information about different ways to cope with pain and more practice with breathing and massage techniques. I especially enjoyed the massage practice portion of the class! We
have just one class left to take on infant care, and then we’re ready... (Or so
we think!!)
On March 9, my neighbor Melinda and friend Tanya threw a
baby shower for me at Melinda’s house. Jill, one of my college roommates, flew in for the weekend from Idaho so she could join in
the fun. Alas the weather decided not to cooperate and a major snow storm
was forecast for the day. Thankfully, it turned out to be pretty minor, and we
were able to have the shower as planned, though it did keep a few friends with
longer drives from the party. Melinda did an amazing job with the decorations
and Tanya organized some fun games to keep the group entertained. It was a
great day! Jill and I also had a great time catching up and running around as
much as my pregnant body could withstand. :)| Decorations |
| Food! |
| Try to guess the girth of my belly! |
| Jill & me |
Spring break was last week, and it was certainly eventful,
even though I didn’t go anywhere. On Monday I decided to get lunch at Panera’s
in Longmont, and when I was leaving the parking lot, the guy driving the car
parked behind mine decided to pull out without looking and dented my bumper.
Thankfully, the fender bender happened at very low speed, but surprisingly my
neck started hurting the next day and lasted for a few days after that. At
least the guy was very apologetic and accepted full responsibility, as did his
insurance, though the body shop I took my car to won’t be able to work on it
until April 22nd and won’t be done with it until April 27th.
Talk about cutting it close!
I spent most of the rest of the week working on the baby
room and getting errands done. It’s amazing how much my stamina has declined.
The weekend before the accident, my mom came over and helped me make 10
crockpot freezer meals to stockpile for when the baby arrives. After 2 hours of standing in the kitchen preparing the meals, my
whole body ached! I had to take a break for quite a while. I’m so glad my mom
was there to help me! I managed to sit at the table and keep cutting veggies,
but she pretty much finished up the meals for me. Interestingly, we had a few
ingredients left over and even one of the recipe bags was left unused, so we'll see how the meals turned out. I think we may have goofed
some of them up! :)
She also helped me put away some of the baby clothes that
were handed down to me from Polina and put together some of the baby gear Erich
and I had purchased in a recent Amazon order.We assembled the swing and Pack n’ Play, which was no easy feat! I think we did a good job though, as both items have been “kitty approved”.
My friend Bea came for a visit from Grand Junction the following weekend and helped me finish organizing the baby room and also got Little Fish some pretty nice clothes and a blanket.
![]() |
| How cute are those sweaters/jackets??? |
Erich put up the book shelf ledges in the baby room, which
proved to be a challenge all of their own. Turns out the dry wall anchors that came
with the shelves didn’t play well with the insulation in the wall. But he
persevered and after changing to different wall anchors, got the shelves
installed.
Spring break ended with a delicious Easter dinner at my mom’s
house, which wraps up this post with our requisite belly shot:
Erich has suggested that one day when Little Fish asks where
babies come from, we use that pic to explain that they hatch from eggs….








No comments:
Post a Comment